Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blog Post 5: Eminem-Beautiful. Ethos, Pathos, Logos.

Eminem makes several arguements throughout the entire song. Almost each verse is an arguement within itself with the use of pathos as tehe basis for most. At the beginnig of the song the slow tempo and drawn out phrases coupled with the aesthetics og the video one feels a sense of loss and hurt. The audiences assumptions are made a reality when Eminem begins rapping his first verse:

"...I just can't seem to get out this slump./ If I could just get over this hump./ But I need something to pull me out this dump./ I took my bruises, took my lumps./ Fell down and I got right back up./ And in order for me to pick the mic back up,/ I don't know why or when I ended up in this position I'm in/ I'm starting to feel dissin' again./ So I decided to pick this pen/ up and try to make and attempt to vent/ But I just can't admit/ or come to grips with the fact I may be done with rap/ I need a new outlet./ And I know some s--t's hard to swallow./ But I just can't sit back and wallow/ In my own sorrow/ But I know one fact./ I'll be one tough act to follow."

While Emimem is telling a sad story, he also tells one of hope and perserverence. He "took his bruises" but "got right back up". Also he believes he may be done with rap and "some s--it's hard to swallow" but he can't "sit back and wallow" in his "own sorrow" and he ends it with the optimistic fact that he'll "be one tough act to follow." In one verse he was abel to envoke feelings of sadness and hurt and turn them into feelings of renewal and hope. Which brings back the aforementioned point of him using pathos to create logos. With these feelings he is envoking in his audience he is making the arguement that terrible things happen to you in life, however, only you can truly change how your life plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment